I was teaching a Pinterest class last week, here in Phoenix, when a REALTOR asked me “what the heck is a hashtag?”
What is a hashtag?
A hashtag is a word or short phrase prefixed with the (#) pound sign.
Why use a hashtag?
There are several reasons to use hashtags. Here are a few of the most important:
- Aggregate, track and identify content across multiple social media channels
- Add a search filter to your content
- Used to carry on a conversation with multiple people (especially on twitter)
- Allows people who don’t follow you to see what you’re saying
- The most popular become “trending” & then you can join the conversation by using the hashtag
Example of a hashtag:
- Baby name guessing
- pictures and videos of the royal couple’s every move
- source of congratulations & celebration
Real Estate Example
- tips on short sales in arizona, become the expert
- groups all your work together
- creates expertise
What platforms can I use hashtags?
You can use hashtags on all the major social media platforms. This includes Pinterest (my favorite), google+, facebook, instagram (you can use tons of hashtags here), twitter (where it all started), and basically all social media platforms.
Search popular hashtags:
- tagdef.com – shows most popular today, last week and of all time
- trendsmap.com- shows what’s trending globally
- tagboard.com – you can search a hashtag and see what’s been posted to see if it fits your content. For instance I searched #scottsdale & found a ton of people eating out (Scottsdale is a foodie city) and going out to bars and such.
I just went to google+ and went to the “explore” tab and got these trending hashtags
Rules to using hashtags
- Use 3-4 hashtags per post – don’t overload a post (on Pinterest you can use a few more, but I wouldn’t use more than 6)
- Use trending & relevant hashtags – look up the trending hashtags as well as the most used hashtags
- Use one hashtag of your own, for example #charlieallred, so you can group all your posts
About the Author
Charlie Allred is a Phoenix based real estate broker, designated broker for Secure Real Estate and an online marketing expert. She helps her home seller’s homes be found everywhere online. She is also a Pinterest expert teaching other agents how to gain more leads, followers & clients by using Pinterest. She is the mother of twin daughters.